Friday, June 8, 2012

Plagiarism, Personal Identity Leak, & Offended People OH MY!






I have tried to not post about the kind of bad behavior that is going on in the blogging world. Most other blogs have done a great job of summing it up so why write my own post? All I have to say is that the time has come.

For those of you that are not part of the blogger world, you probably have no idea the heinous crimes that have been committed on your own computer scene.

Let me start out with Plagerizism. Earlier this year a well known blog was found to have plagiarized another blog. Now this person denied it until IP address and matching dates/times proved them to be liars.


I have seen these facts and will gladly find them to post if you want to see for yourself.  However, most of you will know what I am talking about. Those who don't if you ask I will find those links and send them to you. Now the victims have been receiving hate mail saying they are horrible people and they should have never said anything. I am ashamed that anyone would blame the victim , but I have seen this evidence and it is true. This whole disaster is now just dying down. Crappy apologies have been made and the fact that it happened at all is ridculous. I think if a high schooler can understand Plagerizism than those in the blogger world should understand. Right ? Right!

Now we can move on to personal identity leaks. This incident has just happened recently. An author leaked the supposed name, address, family names, and picture in a blog post of a reviewer who goes by an alias as most of us do. She did this to draw attention and rant about how this person's reviews are horrible. I find having all this information all in one place with her alias, if the information is even right , offensive. Unless you are given permission to post that sensitive information by the person it should not be posted. Right? Right.

I am pretty sure that everyone is following me so far. Now onto the thing that has prompted this whole post.

Offending people, I personally don't set out to offend anyone but I also don't lie or sugar coat things. If you believe the only things that should be said are the positive ones, well this blog is not for you. I will not give a book a good review if I think the book was terrible. I try to point out the positive things before the negative but don't feel I need to  lie and make some up to make an author feel better. This won't do anyone any good. Who wants to read a book a reviewer has suggested when you know the reviewer is a habitual liar? I don't, nor would I, recommend a book I did not enjoy or think the person I am recommending it to would not enjoy. Honesty is the best policy. Sadly some authors want are gaming the system by asking those who did not like the book to delete their review. This is dishonest and those authors who do this I will not promote any of their work. I think most of us can agree with this.

The waters get muddy when it comes to those we personally know and may mention on our blogs. Now no one will care if you sing their praise,right? Right! But what happens when you post something about them that they find offensive because it hurts their self image in their minds? Did this blogger do it on purpose? Was it meant to be a personal attack, or simply the bloggers opinion due to what the blogger feels? Now let's say that this thing said was not actually linked to a name but a title, say cousin. Now if your cousin tells you that they are offended for putting something on the blog linked with the title cousin do they have the right to ask for it to be deleted? Or maybe edited ? Let's say the blogger does not see it as a personal attack since names or addresses heck not even pictures are in evidence, do they still have a right to ask you to delete a post?

I personally do not see this as an excuse to delete a blog post. I mean it may vary from instance to instance but if an actual name isn't given and the post isn't being malicious than what does it matter what the blogger thinks? Are we as a society so caught up in what others think of us that we can be offended by a mere paragraph "stating" your title?  Do you  mean to say that the blogger is absolutely 110% responsible for what others will think if seen? How many people censor their Facebook? Do you ever say that you had a shitty day? Yes, I am sure most people do. Now if you interacted with someone else that day does that mean that the person who you interacted with should be offended you had a shitty day? No! Ridiculous. Don't you have a right to say it without worrying about offending people? Yes you do.

Those of you who don't agree and find this offensive, do you go around telling people little things here and there that bother you? Do you ever say anything negative about others? I am sure you do. Heck, we are all human. Now why is it okay to say something negative but not to type it? It still gets around. It is still said. But that's the thing. For some reason some people think it is okay to talk about things but heaven forbid you actually post them because then you mean them. Hypocritical if you ask me. But everyone is allowed their opinion. 

I want to know if you think that you should have to delete a post if you were to offend a family member because they knew you were talking about them due to the title used and instance?


-Amanda

8 comments:

Kara_Malinczak said...

Absolutely not. Don't delete this post either. You never mentioned the person by name in the original post and you didn't do it here either, so that person needs to move on and not get offended by this. I don't know why people are so sensitive these days. Perhaps instead of demanding you remove your post, that person should write a blog of their own. This is a personal, emotional venting space and the blog owner has every right to do so. Unless you mention the person in a way they can be identified, you are doing nothing wrong.

Sisters Unedited said...

Thanks for making me feel like I am not so crazy. I mean really I was starting to wonder if it was just me. Thanks Lady!

FYI this post is staying! ;o)

Sisters Unedited said...

Here are the links to the Plagiarism Story:

B*tch stole my Content! Plagiarism

I Think We've Been Plagiarized

Plagiarism and The Story Siren

Plagiarism-What happens now?

Here is where you can find the Reviewers out cry about the Identity Leak:

Breaking the Silence

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

I wouldn't have deleted it! Family can be so touchy sometimes but honestly if no names are mentioned than leave it alone. There are bigger things to worry. As a blogger you have the write to vent and write whatever you like!
-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

littleread1 said...

I think many of us use our blogs, not only as a place to talk about books, but as a sort of public diary. Of course we can't post EVERYTHING we think, we should be allowed to post our honest opinions.

I am careful, since I know my mom reads my blog, daily, everything I post, that I don't mention family stuff, or at least things I don't want to talk about later. That being said, she would also never tell me to remove a post, or at least know what I would say if she did. :-)

So, say what you want, and it is ultimately your call if you remove it later. They can always ask, you can always say no. :-)

Sisters Unedited said...

@ Little Read - This person was not my mother. I would have told her no and I am sorry she was offended but as no one from this area is a blog follower and her name was never mentioned nor can just anyone find it then it was a harmless paragraph and it would have been left at that. Trust me my mother understands opinions and the freedom to state them. lol we are quite opinionated in my family. Really 3 teenage girls were a handful. I pity her.

This person was not a follower nor the person who pointed out the paragraph I had wrote. It was actually about 5 lines from a conversation we had around and with some of 10 adults not to mention the kids playing around us at the time, so it was not private by any means. I stated my opinion on this small blurb and that is what offended this person.

Ironically enough this person that pointed it out said they used my blog for reviews but has never read a book I have reviewed on here. Also they have stated in the past that they use a search engine. I know this idea alone makes me shudder but those who only read 5 to 10 books total a year tend to not really get the idea of reviewers or asking people who have read those books for suggestions.

I think the combination of having neither party actually follow my blog and participate then have the audacity to say they use my blog when they use search engines really just pushed me over the edge when all this happened.

However, this is not a plea for those parties to follow. I would prefer them not too and just leave the blog alone. I don't need the family tension they have caused.

emaginette said...

Wow, what a mouthful.

From your post I've decide not to review the writings of people I know and that know me. It is all a degree of trust and I'm sure the reviewer who trusted, is the one with her name, and family posted out there somewhere. Bad new for everyone.

Bullying tactics aren't allowed on a school ground. And that is what has been described here. I'm disappointed in everyone involved, but I will admit, when discussing my family on my blog always get them to read it first and if there is an issue--I fix it before I post it.

My family and friends are everything to me and that makes the decision easy. :-)

Sisters Unedited said...

@ emaginette - I agree. I could not believe that one someone would plagarize a blog and then two people would send hate mail to the victims. Then for someone to leak personal identity information about a reviewer that is just bad business. There has been a slue of bullying going on in the blogging world esp. with authors and reviewers. I am actually surprised by this and have found that usually it is the self-published authors who make the biggest waves, but not always.

I am so glad that your family and friends support your blog. Honestly, if that is what a blog is all about I totally agree with you. However, no member of my family or hubby's family are blog followers to this blog, nor have they ever commented in the year plus that it has been running. My sister Jess is the only one and she runs this with me so I kinda doubt she counts lol. But I guess what I am saying is that my blog isn't for friends and family it really is for those people out there looking for honest suggestions and reviews on books. That being said I never intentionally went out of my way to offend but can't imagine why I would run any post by a person when they do not follow or participate. But I do see your point. As I have stated I did delete it because I really don't want friction but unfortunalty this is me letting off my steam. lol so I hope the ride wasn't too horrible. ;o)