The Saint by Monica McCarty
Rated : 









To start off I just have to say that this book kept me on my feet and guessing. People die, relationships fail and some relationships build an unbreakable bond! Yet another great addition to the Highland Guards series!
Recommend: Anyone who has read the first 4 books will enjoy this book as well. If you haven't read any you can either:
a) start reading at the beginning of the series with the book The Chief
Or
b) pick up this book and start in the middle of the series.
I recommend going with option a) but you can go with option b) . It will still be a great read but won't be as satisfying because you don't know what has taken place in the past or how relationships have evolved.
The Highlands : Lets take a look


Magnus MacKay has known all his life who his enemies/rivals were the hated Sutherlands. The one time a year that all clans got together to compete against each other and show off their strengths were during the Highland Games. This also happened to be when Magnus MacKay meet and fell in love with Helen Sutherland. Due to the on-going feud between the clans their secret meetings were few and far between, yet somehow love blossomed. One fateful day during Magnus's last Highland Game fate decided to throw a wrench in their plans.
Magnus beat Donald Munro (champion of the Sutherlands). Donald vows revenge and Magnus is off to propose to the only girl he wants, Helen. While Magnus and Helen were meeting after this feat her brother Kenneth shows up and heads roll. Okay, not literally but if they could they would have killed each other. Helen must decide if she is going to marry Magnus and forsake her family or if she was going to go home and forsake Magnus. Those who have read this serious know that Magnus is not married and therefore things went very wrong. Helen walked away from him.
Fast forward 3 years later and William Gordan, Magnus's brother from another mother, is getting married to his betrothed. Yes, the one and only Helen Sutherland. Magnus, also known as The Saint amongst the Highland Guards, is anything but calm and collected during his first meeting with Helen after 3 years. Sparks fly, tempers flare and secrets surface. Will Helen marry William? Will all hell break out if Magnus and Helen do get back together? Ultimately can they ever forgive what has happened in the past to live and love in the present?
Side Notes:
* This book was a whorl-wind of emotions. I can't believe the heartbreak that we go through as readers throughout this book and yet I loved it. It brought home the fact that we can never take for granted what we have. Seize The Day is definitely the motto of this book along with Love Can Conquer All.
* We get to see both of Helen's brothers, William and Kenneth stretch and grow. I loved having William and Muriel's story in this book as well. It added an extra touch of sweetness and hope.
* Kenneth grew on my as well and I am excited to see where this will lead.
* Lets not forget about Helen's fascination with birthing animals. This side of her cracked me up when she said she had brought it up when she was sewing with other women.
Lets not forget about...
Magnus MacKay or The Saint

Yes he did make my Bad*ss Hall of Fame Shelf!
Now I know that not everyone has read this series yet so I will list the first 4 books prior to The Saint.
The Chief Highland Guard #1
AN ELITE FIGHTING FORCE UNLIKE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN . . .
Scouring the darkest corners of the Highlands and Western Isles, Robert the Bruce handpicks ten warriors to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. And to lead his secret Highland Guard, Bruce chooses the greatest warrior of all.
The ultimate Highland warlord and a swordsman without equal, Tor MacLeod has no intention of being drawn into Scotland’s war against the English. Dedicated to his clan, the fiercely independent chief answers to no one—especially not to his alluring new bride, bartered to him in a bid to secure his command of the deadliest fighting force the world has ever seen. The treacherous chit who made her way to Tor’s bed may have won his hand, but she will never claim his heart.
Although her husband’s reputation is as fierce as his manner, Christina Fraser believes that something softer hides beneath his brutal shell. But the only warmth she feels is in their bed, in glorious moments of white-hot desire that disappear with the dawn. When Christina’s reckless bid to win her husband’s love goes awry and thrusts them into danger on the eve of war, Tor will face his ultimate battle: to save his wife and to open his heart—before it’s too late.
The Hawk Highland Guard #2
Erik MacSorley is a brilliant seafarer who has never encountered a wind he could not harness or a woman he could not win—until he drags a wet, half-naked nursemaid out of the waters off the Irish coast. Ellie's ordinary appearance belies the truth: She is in fact Lady Elyne de Burgh, the spirited daughter of the most powerful noble in Ireland. Worse, this irresistible woman is determined to prove herself immune to Erik's charms—a challenge he cannot resist.
The Chief Highland Guard #1 AN ELITE FIGHTING FORCE UNLIKE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN . . .
Scouring the darkest corners of the Highlands and Western Isles, Robert the Bruce handpicks ten warriors to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule. They are the best of the best, chosen for their superior skills in each discipline of warfare. And to lead his secret Highland Guard, Bruce chooses the greatest warrior of all.
The ultimate Highland warlord and a swordsman without equal, Tor MacLeod has no intention of being drawn into Scotland’s war against the English. Dedicated to his clan, the fiercely independent chief answers to no one—especially not to his alluring new bride, bartered to him in a bid to secure his command of the deadliest fighting force the world has ever seen. The treacherous chit who made her way to Tor’s bed may have won his hand, but she will never claim his heart.
Although her husband’s reputation is as fierce as his manner, Christina Fraser believes that something softer hides beneath his brutal shell. But the only warmth she feels is in their bed, in glorious moments of white-hot desire that disappear with the dawn. When Christina’s reckless bid to win her husband’s love goes awry and thrusts them into danger on the eve of war, Tor will face his ultimate battle: to save his wife and to open his heart—before it’s too late.
The Hawk Highland Guard #2 Erik MacSorley is a brilliant seafarer who has never encountered a wind he could not harness or a woman he could not win—until he drags a wet, half-naked nursemaid out of the waters off the Irish coast. Ellie's ordinary appearance belies the truth: She is in fact Lady Elyne de Burgh, the spirited daughter of the most powerful noble in Ireland. Worse, this irresistible woman is determined to prove herself immune to Erik's charms—a challenge he cannot resist.
Her captor may look every inch a rugged warrior, but Ellie vows that it will take more than a wickedly suggestive caress to impress her. Yet Erik will sweep away Ellie's resistance with a desire that resonates deep within her heart. Still, he is a man driven by loyalty, and she is a woman with secrets that could jeopardize Bruce's chance to reclaim his throne. As the battle for king and country sounds across the shores, will Ellie's love be enough to finally tame the legend known as the Hawk?
The Ranger Highland Guard #3 Embedded deep behind enemy lines, Arthur “Ranger” Campbell is Bruce’s secret weapon as he wages his final assault on the enemies who stand against him. Recruited to join the Bruce’s secret elite fighting force for his prized scouting skills, Arthur’s razor sharp senses and ability to blend into the shadows make him the perfect spy. But when this shadow warrior must infiltrate the clan of the chieftain who murdered his father, his heart is locked on revenge. Inside he faces unexpected resistance from the sweetest of obstacles—a honey-haired siren who is his enemy’s daughter. But the vivacious, enchanting Anna MacDougall is a woman whose skill at uncovering deception rivals his own.
Intrigued by this ruggedly handsome newcomer to her father’s forces, Anna accepts the challenge his determined indifference to her arouses. Though anxious for the war to end and yearning for a quiet life with a good man to love, Anna is drawn to this mysterious knight whose eyes devour her but whose words push her away. But as danger, treachery, and the threat of looming war draw them closer into each other’s passions and secrets, a warrior made of steel must make a choice from the heart: love or revenge.
The Viper Highland Guard #4
Intrigued by this ruggedly handsome newcomer to her father’s forces, Anna accepts the challenge his determined indifference to her arouses. Though anxious for the war to end and yearning for a quiet life with a good man to love, Anna is drawn to this mysterious knight whose eyes devour her but whose words push her away. But as danger, treachery, and the threat of looming war draw them closer into each other’s passions and secrets, a warrior made of steel must make a choice from the heart: love or revenge.
The Viper Highland Guard #4 Prized for his snakelike stealth and deadly strikes, Lachlan “Viper” MacRuairi is a warrior to enlist but not to trust. His only loyalty is to his purse, his indifference sealed by bitter betrayal. All that changes when Lachlan is tasked to protect and deliver Bella MacDuff to the king’s coronation—and the proud, lushly sensual countess unwittingly challenges him to his greatest battle yet: to love again.
Passionate and devoted, Bella has defied Britain’s king and her own husband to place the crown on Bruce’s head, and for this she pays a terrible price: Losing her daughter and her freedom to her husband’s vengeance. Imprisoned with barbaric cruelty, she vows to reclaim her child, even if it means selling her soul—and her body—to a dark, lethal warrior whose eyes glint like steel, but who makes her skin tingle and her breath race. Together they embark on a rogue mission with sinister twists and turns that threatens not only Bella’s gamble to save her daughter—but also her heart.
Passionate and devoted, Bella has defied Britain’s king and her own husband to place the crown on Bruce’s head, and for this she pays a terrible price: Losing her daughter and her freedom to her husband’s vengeance. Imprisoned with barbaric cruelty, she vows to reclaim her child, even if it means selling her soul—and her body—to a dark, lethal warrior whose eyes glint like steel, but who makes her skin tingle and her breath race. Together they embark on a rogue mission with sinister twists and turns that threatens not only Bella’s gamble to save her daughter—but also her heart.
Monica McCarty
Winner will pick one of these books
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to Hop to the next Blog!


53 comments:
Unfortunatelly I didn´t read any book from this series. But I think I will change it :-)
I have not even heard of this series, but sounds fun! :-)
Nope, but am interested :)
teo_pei_yun@hotmail.com
Unfortunately I haven't read any of these books yet
+JMJ+
I haven't read any of them, but now, thanks to your enthusiastic endorsement, I want to! =) Thanks for the giveaway.
I have not read this series yet. But itsounds like a great one to read.
it's a new discovery but i would like to read it ( starting by book 1) thanks you for this opportunity to win it and for doing this international
all the best
No I have not but the series sounds amazing I'm glad to have discovered it on your blog :)
No I have not read any of this series but I have stared at it the last 3 times I have gone into B&N! Lol.
sionedkla@gmail.com
Thank you for everyone that has stopped by and participated. This is our first blog hop and first giveaway so we are really excited.
Sounds like a great series!! Thanks for the giveaway!
viajeradelmar@aol.com
SV:Thanks Amanda:-)Sorry i haven`t write this one in English... This is the first book I read of Jill Mansell but it wont be the last, thats for sure. Have a Nice day
cky15: haven't read this series but I do have a few of them on my list to read. Thanks for the great giveaway.
Woohoo! Blog Hopping!
What a great way to discover new blogs and visit with old friends. Everybody wins this way!
I haven't read any of these books yet, but after reading the blurbs, they are definitely going on my wishlist. LOL
Thanks for being part of the hop and for the chance to win! <^_^>
Not entering since I have soooo much on my TBR right now, but this reminds me of how much I miss good old fashioned romance!
Love how much you put into the post. I want to go to Scotland eventually. I have not read this series, but I've heard great things about it.
Thanks for participating in the hop and for the giveaway opportunity.
This series has been on my to read list for a while now. I need to get around to starting it!
- Kate (kashtastic[at]gmail[dot]com)
No I haven't read any in this series, but it does look really good. Thanks!
I haven't even heard of this series before, but it sounds great!
Please delete the entries under "dfg"
I had the wrong info in the rafflecopter. Sorry!
No problem! Thanks for letting me know. :o)
I have not read any of the series ... YET! :) I love Highland stories and will definitely check out this series.
Thank you for the giveaway.
Pam
i never read any of this series, would be great maybe pick option b.
thanks for the giveaway.
laniwaticecilia952atgmaildotcom
I have not read any of the series yet, but they sound fascinating! Thanks for mentioning them to us who have not and what we have been missing ;)
Eva
evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com
I have them all except the latest THE SAINT!!! I also have Monica's other books and they are all great. Whoever wins this will love it! Great series and author.
June M.
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com
i havent read any monica books, but iam interesting for reading, putting it in my TBR and i love this cover..very yummy..
thanks for the giveaway
icha09 at gmail dot com
No I haven't read any in this series, but it sounds good, and i love story about Highlander. so this series will add in my wishlist:)
Thanks for giveaway!!
I don't think I've read any of these books, but sometimes I forget. :) I do know that they would look awesome on my bookshelf though. lol
i have not read any monica's book before, but hope have a chance to win and read it :)
I haven't read this series either but love reading highlander romance books!
I haven't even heard of this series, but sounds really great!
Do we win one of the books or the series? :) Deb P
r.d1@myfairpoint.net
Thanks everyone for entering so far. :o)
@Renald the winner gets to pick only 1 book out of the series. They can pick any of the 5 books. :0)
BTW we just got Twitter so check the side of the page to add.
Have a great rest of the day!
I've read all the books in this series except The Viper & have read all the books in Monica's MacLeod and Campbell trilogies as well!
I soooo want to win!! Thanks for the amazing giveaway!
elizabeth @ bookattict . com
i haven't read this series by monica, but i like story about highlander
I haven't read her books yet but I love me a good Highlander novel! Thanks for the giveaway!!
-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages
Unfortunately no but I willing to try it now these books look good! :)
I haven't read any books in this series so I would love to start with book #1.
thanks for participating in the hop!
mimirose41209 at hotmail dot com
If I win I want The Ranger!!! It's the only book I don't have and although I have read them all I WANT ALL THE BOOKS!!!
Mineliz
No, I haven't read this series yet but looking forward to having a chance to win :)
WOW! I can't believe I haven't read any of these yet. I love Highland books!
I will have to get them all now!
Mel
bournmelissa at hotmail dot com
I haven't read any of Monica's books but I would really like to :)
Not entering giveaway just checking out the other blogs participating in the hop. Love finding new blogs.
I'm a new follower!
no but I definitely hope to
Nope i haven't read these, this is a new Author for me but they sound like something i'd love :)
Thanks for opening this internationally :)
Kel xx
I have not read anything from this author before but I hope to win because these look good!
I haven't read the series yet, but I would LOVE to...sounds juicy!
I haven't read any of these books yet, but they sound good! Thanks for the giveaway! cheryllynne(at)rocketmail(dot)com
I just recently finished The Chief and loved it. Monica McCarty has a new fan! I also got to meet her briefly at the RT Convention in Chicago. She was so nice! I was in fan shock and didn't even think of purchasing a book from her. UGH, completely regret it!
thanks so much for giving us an opportunity to win a copy!
Beth
I have not read any of the books but they sound amazing!
I haven't read them, but the first couple are in my tbr pile
Thank you for the fun hop and the great giveaway! :)
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com
Post a Comment